Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday the 21st

Yesterday, Sunday, was a rest day for us. We chose to do breakfast at the New Victory as we heard more adoptive families eat over there - being in the Old Victory, we can chose either buffet. Just after sitting down, I looked up to see Linny Saunders with Emma and dear Jubilee just glowing! The 2D pix of Jubilee do NOT do her justice .... or else she is just aglow with the joy of family now!! I threw a hug on Linny before she even knew who I was. We then chatted for about 30min while my breakfast (the first I could actually eat since being sick) got cold. John tapped his watch and said church is in 45 minutes. Linny left to get her breakfast and I got up to get a fresh cup of hot tea (mine was cold by now) and when I returned to the table my breakfast was gone .... the clean up crew was way too fast for me! Guess I wouldn't be eating much this morning anyway. I grabbed a few super sweet clementines (called sugar sweets here by some) and they were very good. We went off to church and for the first time in all our adoptions we were the ONLY adoptive family there! Very strange. But I did run into two new officers from the consulate who were there for worship. :) Sunday was cooler and sunless - we spent more time in the hotel room. We did venture out for dinner to the Italian spot we had heard about... La Vita Dolce .... another God orchestrated moment as we ran into yet another family I have only known on the web - the Everetts - Hal and Susan. We both have sons from Jiaozuo, Henan and met on that yahoo group 4 years ago. Nice family from Texas - and here with their entire family of 7!


Monday we were up early to have the TB tests read at 8am - both negative altho Lushi's was a bit raised and wheeled - not large enough for a "positive" .... praise the LORD!! If it had been "positive" he would have had to have a chest xray prove negative to clear him through the tuberculosis evaluation. Angela waited over another hour for the reports to be completed and translated. Almost not enough time to then grab a taxi for the Consulate Appt at 10am - she was bussling! We had to stay in our room for the allocated 2 hrs "in case" she needed to call us with any questions. For all of our prior 4 adoptions we have never had a call. At 10:50 the phone rang and I jumped - Lushi was now 14 and HAD to be present, unbeknownst to us, to give his red thumb print of approval for his own adoption. John and he jumped a taxi asap as he had to be there by 11:30 to get it done. John said they were dropped off at 11:27 and ran to the right room. Angela was just a BIT frazzled by this time and had already called me to see if they had got a cab right away! All was well .... and Angela said we would actually swear in TODAY, this afternoon instead of tomorrow! We had enough time for a lunch and then back into the van for yet another trip to the consulate. A large group eventually gathered and each family was called up one by one - no guides allowed in the room anymore, per a new rule set just this October. We then had the oath - all right hands raised .... and of course, I always tear up at this part .... it is all finally over and done! Congratulations were said and we were out the door. Oh, and 4 newly adopted children celebrate(d) birthdays in December and were announced - two 1 yr olds, a nearly 8 yr old and our Lushi, 14yrs! He did not understand what was happening since Angela was not there to translate!


We gathered with several other families for dinner at the Cow and Bridge - 22 of us in all. Angela came and then after we were seated she graciously said she was not staying! Afterwards I told her she was a weasle .... to which I had to then translate the meaning for her! Lushi is off playing ping-pong with another family's teen son - will gather him up in just a bit.


We are relieved it is nearly all done - just need to wait to receive the final visas - due by Wednesday, but may come in tomorrow (Tuesday) - still will not be able to change any flights and get home early .... shucky darns!


Thanks for the continued prayers!! I, Mary, am all well stomach wise, but now have a cold and chest cough - will gladly take this over the pukes and squirts! Everyone else is well. I will be sad to say goodbye to Angela - sure wish she would come to the states for visit sometime - she said it would cost so much and be hard to do .... yeah, tell me about it!


Blessings to all! And nearly a Merry Christmas! Our home is getting more snow each day this week while we enjoy the warm Guangzhou weather - Christina and Gideon will be in for such a shock!!


Mary

15 comments:

  1. So glad to read that you, Mary, are better but the chest congestion is nasty. Remember there is a small clinic in the White Swan and they will treat your chest congestion for a few yuan. I have been sick in China more than once with upper resp. stuff and the WS clinic was wonderful. I think it's on the second or third floor near the elevators. Love reading about the kids! Hugs, Deb Sorensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Glad you are feeling better, Mary. And PTL for it all being past you. Woohoo! Now have a safe journey home. I can hardly wait to see what your two new kiddos think about the flights home, all the airports, and the US. What a culture shock for an older child surely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this whirlwind is almost over...well maybe just beginning. Sitting here in the states it does not seem 2 wks.
    Congratulations.
    Yes do use the clinic...dry air in the airplane does not help the congestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy that they are officially your children on both the Chinese and US sides! And it almost went off without a hitch. So glad John and Lushi made to the consulate on time!! I have really, really enjoyed your trip. Have a wonderful Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas you all! So happy to be able to follow your journey. Now praying for a safe and uneventful journey home.

    In Christ,
    Janet, Kevin, Ted, Philip (also a Henan Jiaozuo boy via PHF), and waiting for our Eli (Anhui Province)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,

    I am so happy you are feeling better. Tell Angela Hi from me. I get tears in my eyes thinking of her. I love her so much.

    God bless,
    Kari Thompson

    Mom to HOpe, Isaac and Hollen Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  7. You kids are so cute. I love the pictures. You guys becareful when you fly home on December 24. Iowa is supposed to be hit hard with a snow storm. We are leaving tomorrow night the 22nd for Iowa to make it for Christmas before the snow hits. We might be stranded in Iowa. I am praying it does not happen.

    God bless,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  8. God did it!! He brought these two wonderful children into their family right on time - His time! Praise the Lord!!

    Merry Christmas to the Kamberger family!! Have a safe trip home and feel better, Mary.

    Hugs from Long Island, NY
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! It is so amazing to see how God has orchestrated EVERY detail--such an awesome amazing story for Lushi and Christina. What a glorious Christmas you all will have...

    Please give Angela hugs from the Kassebaums if you have a chance, and let her know there's a guest room ready and available in Seattle if she ever comes to the states. We think of her often and would love to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Mary, I do hope you feel better by the time you get home today. What a wonderful Christmas celebration awaits you... you and ALL your children! I thank God for you, Mary Kamberger, for how you love our Lord Jesus so much and how you shine His light so brightly. Thank you for sharing your trip... what a testimony to the amazing love and power of God. There is nothing He won't do for us. Charis and Jeremy finally got to talk today! They both seemed to have a blast! We look forward to talking soon. Welcome home Christina and Gideon and Merry Christmas! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, Rachel is so thrilled that not only her dear friend Christina was home on Christmas but Jubilee as well. I hope some day we can get all the girls together. Wish I could have seen you and Linny chatting over breakfast in GZ. sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really very glad after read here and I appreciate for the information that you presented here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, It is so amazing to see how God has orchestrated each and every details, such an awesome amazing story for Lushi and Christina. I sure you enjoyed your glorious Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete